Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
Posted for ZWT II 2006- Sweden. Recipe is Tina Nordstrom's as given on a website. This is a great side to your Christmas Ham.
- 1 head cabbage, Tina says green, but think you could use red if available
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml apple juice
- 118.29 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 59.14 ml light corn syrup or 59.14 ml honey
- butter (for frying)
- salt and pepper
- Slice the cabbage thinly and saute over medium high heat together with the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Mix the Apple juice, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon sticks, and syrup or honey. Cover and let simmer until the cabbage softens. This will take about 15 minutes.
The balsamic vinegar makes this one so distinct from the typical red cabbage side dish. Loved the tangy flavor here. I did use a bit less honey than suggested as I tend more towards savory than sweet.
This is wonderful!! I only cooked it for about 8 minutes, though. Everyone loved it, even THE PICKY ONE. Thanks, Chabear!!
Wonderful! I cut back on the balsamic vinegar a little, and used only 1 cinnamon stick. thanks Char, we loved it!...Kitten:)