Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My best friend introduced me to this salad years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I shared it at family functions over the last year and now it is always requested. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- In a large clear glass bowl begin layering the salad.
- Place the chopped lettuce on the bottom layer.
- The water chestnuts can be purchased sliced so drain and place on top of lettuce.
- Place the sliced red onion on next.
- Break up the still frozen peas and layer on salad.
- With a spatula, dabble the mayonnaise over the salad. The peas will get mixed in, but put on enough to create a 'sealing' layer of mayo.
- Sprinkle sugar over mayonnaise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate salad overnight.
- I go ahead and cook, drain and chop my bacon. Boil, peel and chop my eggs, and chop my tomatoes.
- Place each of these in a little cellophane or plastic bowl(separated) in the fridge overnight.
- Just before serving, layer in the bacon, tomatoes, and eggs. Either mix at the table or premix and serve cold.
- Even better on the second day.