Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My best friend introduced me to this salad years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I shared it at family functions over the last year and now it is always requested. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- In a large clear glass bowl begin layering the salad.
- Place the chopped lettuce on the bottom layer.
- The water chestnuts can be purchased sliced so drain and place on top of lettuce.
- Place the sliced red onion on next.
- Break up the still frozen peas and layer on salad.
- With a spatula, dabble the mayonnaise over the salad. The peas will get mixed in, but put on enough to create a 'sealing' layer of mayo.
- Sprinkle sugar over mayonnaise.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate salad overnight.
- I go ahead and cook, drain and chop my bacon. Boil, peel and chop my eggs, and chop my tomatoes.
- Place each of these in a little cellophane or plastic bowl(separated) in the fridge overnight.
- Just before serving, layer in the bacon, tomatoes, and eggs. Either mix at the table or premix and serve cold.
- Even better on the second day.
I have made this salad for years and years, except with a few variations (no chestnuts and I use sharp cheddar). What I like about this recipe vs. mine is adding in the eggs, bacon and tomatoes at the last minute. In mine they are "layered" and then sit overnight and end up being a bit soggy/limp. Great idea to add those 3 ingredients last minute. Note: I don't see where to add the cheese. I spread it over the peas with mayo on top.