1/2 Photos of Skillet Cornbread
This is the recipe I use for my cornbread Dressing recipe. I prepare it ahead of time and freeze the cornbread in wedges until ready to prepare the dressing. It is also good as is! Serve it with baked ham, yams and some green beans!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- 3In another bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg and beat till well blended, then add it to the dry ingredients and mix the bater till blended thoroughly.
- 4Place the shortening and bacon grease in a 9" iron skillet and heat till the shortening melts.
- 5Pour the hot fats into the batter, stir well, and pour the batter back into the skillet.
- 6Bake in the oven till the cornbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 7To serve, turn the skillet upside down on a big plate, remove, and cut the cornbread into wedges.
- 8(To prepare for Cornbread dressing, cool, cut into wedges and freeze until ready to use in recipe. Defrost before continuing.).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.0
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 1047.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 9.4 g