Spicy Little Sister's Note:
I am a super clam chowder snob. Roux has no place in clam chowder, unless you're trying to hide old gummy fish parts, but then, why would you cook it? This is a thin, light, yet deliciously hearty clam chowder that you can have more than one bowl. I usually pair it with an earthy, hearty salad
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (more or less as needed)
- 2 medium yellow onions, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1 cm. cubes
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 sage leaf
- 10 sprigs fresh rosemary (the little leaves)
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 -2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 3 stalks celery, in 1 cm. cubes
- 3 lbs clams (Little Neck or Manila, just make sure they're still alive and squirting water when you get them)
- 1In a heavy bottomed pot (Dutch oven), melt the bacon fat and 1-2 T. of butter. Add the onions and sauté them with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- 2When they're fragrant, add the potatoes and sauté together for a few minutes with the lid on, tossing occasionally.
- 3When the potatoes start to sear or brown, add the clam juice and the milk. Stir in the liquids, and then add the celery seed, cracked pepper, sage, rosemary, bay and a little salt (add in stages to avoid making it over salty.
- 4When the soup starts to simmer, stir it, and taste it. Add more salt and butter if it's necessary. After 4 minutes, add the celery.
- 5Let it simmer for 5 more minutes. If you are making the soup ahead, go ahead and turn it off, and put the lid on it (if you put the clams in and then try to reheat it, they'll get all gross and rubbery). If you're serving immediately, rinse the clams and then add them to the soup. Stir them in, and half cap the pot until it starts to simmer. Stir when it simmers and serve when the clams open up (approximately 3 minutes).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sublime Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.7
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 556.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: