Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 15 mins
Please note that this recipe takes ten days of pickling time, but is well worth the effort! This is from "The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas". I made the entire "Swedish Winter Feast" for a past Christmas and it was wonderful! I'll post the other recipes next: Swedish Sauerkraut, Swedish Green Split Peas with Bacon, Mashed Rutabaga, Turnip, and Potato & Sweet and Hot Mustard, served with Rye Bread. I expected not to like anything and ended up LOVING everything!
- In a large stainless steel pot or pickling crock, mix the water, pickling salt, and saltpeter together until dissolved. Untie the pork roast and place in the pickling solution. Place a heavy plate on top of the pork so that it will remain submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate for 10 days. Check occasionally to be sure the pork is covered by the liquid.
- After 10 days, remove the pork and retie it into a roast. Rinse well with fresh water. Place the roast in a large cooking pot, cover with cold water, and add the remaining ingredients: bay leaves, peppercorns and whole allspice.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 2 hours 15 minutes.
- Slice the pork and place on large platter.
- Serve with Sweet and Hot Mustard.