Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Perfect for the holidays! I haven't tried this, but I plan to this year. It looks really good! From the Cold Weather Cookbook.
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup pitted whole prune, snipped in half
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger
- 4 whole cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 (750 ml) bottle ruby port
- 3⁄4 cup brandy
- 3⁄4 cup vodka or 3⁄4 cup aquavit
- Place orange juice, almonds, raisins, and prunes into a large pan.
- Tie cloves, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom in cheesecloth and add to the pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Discard spice bag and add the port to the pan.
- Heat until just beginning to simmer, but do not boil.
- Add the brandy and vodka and heat through.
- Carefully ignite mixture with a match (throw the lit match into the brew, quickly step back several feet and wait for flames to subside) (make sure nothing nearby will be ignited from the flame), then cover the pan with a lid to extinguish.
- Remove match from brew.
- Serve warm.