Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My Aunt would make these for Christmas Eve dinner every year. She'd serve these along with Potato Sausage, Lingonberries, Limpa Bread and mashed potatoes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 slices day-old rye bread, crusts trimmed,torn into pieces
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock or 2⁄3 cup canned beef broth
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄3 cups canned beef broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- ground allspice
- For meatballs:.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Combine bread and stock in large bowl.
- Mix in onion mixture, egg, allspice and pepper.
- Add ground beef and veal and blend well.
- Can be prepared 3 hours ahead.
- Cover and chill.
- Shape meat into 1 1/4-inch balls.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add meatballs and sauté until cooked through and brown, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to platter and keep warm.
- Reserve drippings in skillet.
- For sauce:.
- Add flour to drippings in skillet and stir over medium heat until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in stock and cream.
- Simmer until sauce is thick and smooth, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with allspice, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and serve.
Great recipe. I added one potato grated raw to the ingredients, and added the onion grated raw as well.
I used vegi-meat and wheat germ for crums, a definate addition to my recipe book.
My MIL made these and they were wonderful. Only thing she changed was no Veal (I won't eat Veal) just subbed extra ground beef. Thanks for sharing they are delish!