1/2 Photos of Swedish Sauerkraut
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is from "The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas". I made the entire "Swedish Winter Feast" for a past Christmas and it was wonderful! I'll post the other recipes next. The whole meal is: Swedish Corned Pork Roast, Swedish Sauerkraut, Swedish Green Split Peas with Bacon, Mashed Rutabaga, Turnip, and Potato & Sweet and Hot Mustard, served with Rye Bread. I expected not to like anything and ended up LOVING everything!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb smoked pork jowl, diced (I think I used some ham and salt pork)
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 quarts sauerkraut (packed in a glass jar)
- 1 apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1Heat a 4 to 6 quart pot and add the diced pork. Brown the pork to render most of its fat. Remove the pieces of pork from the pot and set aside. Pour off most of the fat, leaving 2 tablespoons in the pot.
- 2Add the onions to the pot and saute a few minutes. Add the cabbage and reserved pork and cook, covered, 5 minutes until the cabbage collapses.
- 3Rinse the sauerkraut in a colander and squeeze dry.
- 4Add the sauerkraut to the pot with the remaining ingredients and combine. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.4
- Calories from Fat 477
- Total Fat 53.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 1290.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 8.2 g