1 hr 25 mins
When I think of 'meat pie', I think of tourtiere. It's a classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup well-chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup lard or 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1/4 cup ice water (or more)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lean pork
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1For crust: Combine flour, cheese and salt in large bowl.
- 2Cut in butter and lard until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3Blend in ¼ cup ice water just until dough holds together, adding more water, a few drops at a time, if necessary.
- 4Divide dough in half.
- 5Shape into balls.
- 6Wrap in plastic and chill.
- 7For filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 8Add onions and garlic and cover and cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add pork and cook until no longer pink, mashing frequently with fork.
- 10Mix in tomatoes, water and spices.
- 11Reduce heat to low and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- 12Stir in breadcrumbs, season and cool.
- 13Roll 1 ball of dough out on lightly-floured surface into 1/8 inch thick round.
- 14Put in a 10 inch deep dish, metal pie plate.
- 15Brush bottom of crust with mustard; spoon filling into crust.
- 16Roll remaining dough out.
- 17Drape over dish, crimping edges to seal, and trimming away excess.
- 18Reroll dough scraps and cut out leaf shapes.
- 19Cut 8 steam vents in decorative flower petal pattern, brush pastry with glaze and arrange pastry leaves on top; brush leaves with glaze.
- 20(can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Preheat oven to 420F.
- 21Bake tourtiere 10 minutes.
- 22Reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue baking until golden-brown, about 35 minutes.
- 23(If top browns too quickly, drape with aluminum foil.) Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tourtiere (French-Canadian Meat Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1097.1
- Calories from Fat 708
- Total Fat 78.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.2 g
- Cholesterol 236.2 mg
- Sodium 694.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 40.9 g