Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe for individual meat pies [tortieres], popular in Quebec in the Christmas season. The Tourtiere is usually made like a casserole or pie. I don't see any reason why you couldn't make them into "individual" pies, but adjustments would have to be made in the cooking times.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs duck, boned and diced
- 1⁄2 lb veal, diced
- 1⁄2 lb beef, diced
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork, diced
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, chopped
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- to taste pastry for double-crust pie
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups boiling water
- The night before, combine the first 13 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and let rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, prepare potatoes and then prepare pastry.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Use 2/3 of pastry to line the bottom (not the sides) of a 4 to 4-1/2 quart coverable pot.
- Add potatoes to the meat mixture. Pour mixture into pastry lined pot. Add boiling water.
- Roll remaining 1/3 pastry and cover mixture. Make slits to allow steam to escape. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Cover, reduce oven to 300 degree F, and continue baking for another 5 hours, until meats are tender.
- Uncover and let rest about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.