4 hrs 25 mins
Sweet Diva's Note:
I have betrayed my Southern heritage! You see, here in the South, we make Dressing - not Stuffing. All my life I was served dressing at Thanksgiving and Christmas and I just can't help it - I don't like it!! When I became a grown-up, I broke Southern tradition and tried making stuffing - this is the first recipe I tried (from Taste of Home) and I have been hooked ever since. The combination of sweet, savory, crunchy and spicy ingredients makes a fabulous stuffing! If I have them, I also add some dried cranberries to the stuffing mixture. I have switched my turkey recipe (I now make Emeril's Brined and Roasted Turkey #272414), but this is still my official stuffing for the holidays! And even though I have switched, this is still a good turkey as well. : )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium onions
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 2 (6 ounce) packages herb stuffing mix
- 1 (15 ounce) package golden raisins
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 -14 lb) whole turkey
- melted shortening
- 1Slice two onions; set aside.
- 2Chop remaining onions.
- 3In a large skillet,brown sausage and chopped onions.
- 4Add herb packet from the stuffing mixes.
- 5Stir in raisins, pecans, celery and seasonings; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Add stuffing mixes and broth; mix well.
- 7Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- 8Place reserved onions inside turkey.
- 9Add 6-7 cups stuffing. (Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish;cover and refrigerate.)
- 10Skewer openings, tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 11Bake, uncovered, at 325 for 4 to 4-1/2.
- 12hours or until a meat thermometer reads 185, basting often with shortening. (Bake reserved stuffing, covered, for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes more. )
- 13When the turkey begins to brown, baste if needed and cover lightly with foil.
- 14Yield: 12-14 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey With Sausage-Pecan Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 948.9
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 923.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 84.1 g