A recipe my Ukrainian grandmother Chunik used to make.
Make and share this Ukrainian Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 1 link sausage, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml peas
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 51.76 ml butter (for sauteing)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2-3 whole beets, peeled and julienned (with roots and leaves)
- beet leaf, halved
- diced tomato, drained
- 29.58 ml apple cider vinegar (or to taste)
- 1892.72 ml vegetable stock or 1892.72 ml water
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2in chunks
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh dill (to taste)
- 7.39 ml salt (to taste)
- Gently cook the onion and garlic in butter in a large saucepan until tender.
- Cook beets for about 10-15 minutes in boiling water or stock, then add the carrots. Boil for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and dill. When potatoes are still firm (but not hard), add cabbage and beet leaves.
- Add celery, sausage and tomatoes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add peas, sour cream (stirring out the lumps) and salt. Simmer, half covered, until remaining vegetables are tender (but not mushy).
- Stir in vinegar and serve hot.