1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Cassoulet (Cassoulet De Legumes)
4 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
Though cassoulet is not usually a vegetarian dish, this variation on the classic is very good. For the white beans one can use flageolet, or cannellini or great northern beans. You can also cook the beans a day ahead of when you plan to make the cassoulet. The formation of the crust twice, with the first one mixed into the cassoulet, is well worth the extra 20 minutes it takes. As Julia Child would state, cassoulet is not a fast dish but a delicious one. This recipe was adapted from: "The Vegetarian Bistro", by Marlena Spieler.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried white beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1Cook beans according to package directions; can be cooked in a pressure cooker or crockpot. Cook until tender but don't overcook.
- 2Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Reserve 5 of the garlic cloves.
- 4In a large heavy saute pan, over medium-high heat, saute the pepper, carrots, potato and remaining garlic cloves, in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 5In an earthenware (or corningware) casserole, layer the cooked drained beans, sauteed vegetables, diced tomatoes, herbes de Provence, thyme, red wine, and stock, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper.
- 6Cover casserole with a tight fitting lid and bake for about one hour.
- 7Add more liquid if needed to keep the beans from burning.
- 8Mince the reserved garlic cloves.
- 9Combine minced garlic with the bread crumbs, minced parsley and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 10Increase oven heat to 400 degrees F.
- 11Remove casserole from the oven, remove lid and spread half of the crumb mixture over the top.
- 12Return uncovered casserole to the oven and bake about 15 minutes, or until a golden crust has formed.
- 13Break the crust and stir it into the cassoulet.
- 14Repeat by spreading the remaining half of the crumb mixture over the top of the cassoulet.
- 15Return uncovered dish to the oven and bake until the second and final crust has formed.
- 16Then serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Cassoulet (Cassoulet De Legumes)
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.9
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 518.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.8 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence