1/2 Photos of Winter Vegetable Soup
With the liberal use of root vegetables, this Australian soup shows its British origins. In preparing the soup, feel free to make substitutions in the vegetables, for example using sweet potatoes instead of white one. Just remember to keep the approximate volume the same. January 2007: I have finally made this soup and added both indgredients and directions to improve the final dish. Changes made since the first two reviews are noted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots or 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 10 ounces butternut squash
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (added January 2007)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (added January 2007)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt (optional) or 1 cup soy yogurt (optional)
- ground black pepper
- soy sauce or salt
- chopped chives (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Add all of the vegetables, stock, water and bay leaves to a large pot and bring to the boil.
- 2Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are quite soft.
- 3Allow the vegetables to cool a little then puree in a food processor in batches until smooth. (Added January 2007: Include 2 cups of the cooking liquid reserving the rest to adjust the thickness later.).
- 4Return to the heat and stir in the pepper and soy sauce or salt.
- 5If using, stir in the yogurt taking care to not let the soup boil. (Added January 2007: If the soup is too thick for your taste, stir in a bit of the reserved cooking liquid.).
- 6Serve sprinkled with chopped chives.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.8
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 39.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: