Many cultures have holiday breads. German Christmas bread goes by many different names in German: Stollen, Dresden Stollen, Strutzel, Striezel, Stutenbrot, or Christstollen. The traditional German Christmas cake, is a colorful collection of nuts, raisins, currants, candied orange and lemon peel, traditional spices of Christmas such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, mace or cloves, brandy or rum and lots of butter. This recipe is courtesy of the Prussian, Pomeranian and Westphalian immigrants who settled in the great Midwest of North America. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.19 ml milk, warmed
- 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 1892.72 ml flour, sifted
- 453.59 g butter, softened
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 59.14 ml rum
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml almonds, chopped
- 340.19 g raisins
- 1Add crumbled yeast and 1 cup of flour to the warmed milk.
- 2Beat well and allow to stand in a warm place until light.
- 3Cream butter and sugar together, reserving 3 tablespoons of the butter for brushing on top of the loaves.
- 4Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 5Add yeast mixture, rum, lemon rind, salt, almonds, raisins and remaining flour.
- 6Knead on a floured board until smooth and elastic.
- 7Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- 8Divide into 3 loaves.
- 9Roll out slightly; press down center with a rolling pin.
- 10Brush with reserved melted butter, fold over and brush top with butter.
- 11Place in greased bread pans; let rise until double in bulk.
- 12Bake at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden and done.
- 13Cool slightly; brush with frosting.
- 14**Variation: Napfkuchen; use half recipe above, increase sugar to 3/4 cup and use only 3 cups flour. Omit rum; bake in a tube pan or bundt pan.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wisconsin Dutch Stollen
Serving Size: 1 (2999 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3455.2
- Calories from Fat 1367
- Total Fat 151.9 g
- Saturated Fat 85.2 g
- Cholesterol 631.5 mg
- Sodium 1926.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 466.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.8 g
- Sugars 175.8 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of