Make this brisket on a day when you have a bit of time, slow cooking at a low oven temperature for 6 hours is the only way to go for this recipe. Plan ahead the meat must be refrigerated for 8 hours before cooking. Kittencal's Crispy Potato and Green Onion Pancakes (Latkes) and Kittencal's Potato Kugel both go wonderful with this brisket...this is delicious!
- 1 (5 -6 lb) beef brisket
- 1 (5 ounce) bottle liquid smoke
- 2 medium onions (chopped or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons white salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (can use a 12-ounce bottle)
- Place the brisket in a glass shallow dish; pour the liquid smoke over the brisket then rub all over with fresh garlic.
- Place the onions on and around the brisket.
- In a small bowl mix together the garlic salt, white salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper, then sprinkle the meat all over with the spice mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Remove the brisket and place on a large piece of heavy-duty foil, then discard the liquid smoke mixture.
- Place the foil with the brisket on it in a large roasting pan, then pour the Worcestershire sauce evenly over the brisket.
- Fold the foil up to seal tightly (prick a few small holes with a fork in the foil to allow the steam to escape).
- Set oven to 275 degrees.
- Bake for 5 hours.
- Remove from oven and unfold the foil; pour the barbecue sauce evenly over the roast, return to oven UNCOVERED and cook for another hour at 275 degrees.